Sunday, March 28, 2010

Laying it out



I spent a fair bit of time working out the size and shape of the paintings I wanted to do. I always have worked on small paintings that could practically fit into your pocket, and I wanted these to be larger, similar in size to altar paintings, and I wanted the panels to have an interesting shape. And I wanted them to be panels: I didn't want the weave of canvas to be part of the texture of the paintings.

Searching around, I contacted Art-Boards, here in Brooklyn, mainly because they make the most beautiful panel gesso you'll ever find, and I ordered 12 panels, 32" high and 16" high, with a nice curved top. I ordered these without a thought of how I might eventually frame them, but that, I'm still just assuming, will sort itself out.

Chris came over to my studio and posed, holding a yard stick in place of a sword, as she had envisioned something on the order of a Joan of Arc pose. I then did a quarter-scale sketch of the composition based on my charcoal drawing of Chris.

I was now two weeks into my project. Sketches on my easel and panels stacked against the wall, waiting to be gessoed and sanded.


No comments:

Post a Comment